Sunday 6 December 2015

Tobackoff #9: Won'tpower

Why is 5 years such a magical number for everyone ? Except for the seven-year-itch and the seven years of bad luck on breaking a mirror (and, if you like, the saat pheras when you get married), everyone talks in terms of 5 years.

That’s why I was made to believe that it would be a remarkable achievement indeed if I could stay away from cigarettes for five years.
Well, that “landmark” is now behind me : on 28 November 2015, I finished 5 years of of successfully having kicked the butt.

 And I know today what I have known for the past 5 years - that it's a habit that you can really go back to at any time : because you see, you are just telling yourself every day that you choose not to smoke. In other words, staying away from smoking isn’t about willpower – it’s about won’tpower. That's how you can keep your resolve steely and remain smoke-free.

Hopefully, I can bring in a tenth anniversary too. I'll drink to that (there are other bad habits to fall back on !).

No comments:

Post a Comment