Thursday 24 December 2015

Take #24: Bajirao Mastani


A couple of people reminded me that I need to write this review: to be honest, the reason this is late is that I was quite lost as to what to write.

Oh, don't mistake me - I liked the film, but I would put it largely in the time-pass genre, only a notch or two above "Ram-Leela"- and that is undoubtedly not the rank that Sanjay Leela Bhansali would want from his pet project.

The scale was lavish, the detailing splendid, as we have come to expect from SLB. The music wasn't half bad, but the tunes were out of my head by the time I reached home. As regards the story, I cannot comment on historical accuracy, since our history books did not devote much more than a couple of pages to the Peshwas - and that space was devoted to their lives, not their loves. What was somewhat disappointing (for me, at 
least) in the film, were the lead performances.

Raṇveer was larger than life, as always, and has clearly put his soul into this role. He will always be one of the better actors we have today - but the manner in which he essayed the role of Baji Rao was simply not convincing enough. Deepika's transition from warrior princess to poignant paramour was extraordinary, but the fact was that she didn't have too much to do, particularly in the second half. Priyanka was soft and soulful, but she has done better.

I shall remember this film for Tanvi Azmi, whose quietly menacing performance was the biggest takeaway from the two and a half hours of screen time. This movie will most likely manage a couple of awards, I can only hope that she makes it to the list.

His magnum opus, yes; his dream project, we're told; but Bajirao Mastani cannot be Sanjay Leela Bhansali's piece de resistance - he is way too talented for that.

Do watch it, though. You may not agree with much of what I've written.

No comments:

Post a Comment