Sunday 6 December 2015

En Passant #2 : The House of Rhythm

I visited Rhythm House today after a very long time.

Imagine my surprise when I saw this 
large rack of vinyl LP's, all imported, including such gems as "The Doors-Absolutely Live" (you can spot it in the picture). All the records were retailing at around Rs 4k, and there was even a stack of Denon turntables behind this rack.

This shop, virtually an institution, is closing down in February 2016, after nearly 70 years. All over the shop, there are big signs screaming "SALE-upto 50% off". Everywhere in the shop there were nostalgic buyers: one of them even came up to me and said, "It's really very sad. I used to come here after college and listen to music in the booths." I twinkled at the septuagenarian and said "So did I! "

I hope to go back at least once more before the shop shuts down.

However cliched this may sound, it needs to be said: thank you for the music, Rhythm House.

No comments:

Post a Comment