Wednesday 1 August 2012

Book Post # 2

I thought I would mention a few more books, some of them curiously different. I will add more soon, since I'm on a re-reading spree (much more fun than a reading spree, I assure you) these days.

6. Godel, Escher and Bach : An Eternal Golden Braid  by Douglas R Hofstadter
This is one of those books which you would normally overlook on a bookshelf -not least because it is heavier, thicker and larger than the average dictionary; and in the process, you would miss an astonishing experience. Rarely have the principles of Zen Buddhism been explained through a series of conversations between Achilles (he of the heel) and the Turtle (he of the hare); and rarely has any treatise on philosophy invoked a musician, a mathematician and a three-dimensional artist in a single book. Absorbing reading. If you pride yourself on being a different kind of thinker, I would recommend you peep into this book: peep may well lead to keep.

7. Two States :The Story of My Marriage  by Chetan Bhagat
A remarkable fellow, Chetan. His most hyped book was easily his worst - "Five Point Someone" definitely lacked a something illa illa something. On the other hand, Two States, probably his least publicised book (at least, before someone in Bollywood decided to make a movie out of it), is the one to recommend to readers who want to know what his writing is all about. You don't have to be IITian or an IIMite to appreciate it, but you do need to be Indian. This is a love story about a male and what used to be referred to at the IIMs as a "non-male", though that description clearly doesn't apply to the female lead in this book. There's something in this tale for everyone, I'm sure that even my grandmother would have seen the funny side, had she been alive today.

8. The Golden Rendezvous  by Alistair Maclean

When I was just 13, I met an Admiral's daughter who said to me, "You haven't really read anything until you've read Alistair Maclean". I lost track of her some 30 years ago, so I've never had the chance to thank her for a sublime understatement. Alistair Maclean, a Glaswegian professor who copyrighted many of his books under the name of A.G.Gilach, was an exceptionally gifted writer who could make metaphors do a breakdance. You may or may not like his plots or his characters, but you will have no choice but to agree that few people can do what he does with the English Language. This book, if you will pardon the deplorable wordplay, is a golden example. READ !

9. Notes to Myself : My Struggle to Become a Person by Hugh Prather
I was gifted this book in 1983 by one of the most remarkable people I have ever met.....which is perhaps appropriate, because this is easily one of the most remarkable books that I have read. The illustrations are an inspiration, a single dark leaf and a light leaf on each page, curved at just the right angle to suit the mood of the text. This is one of those books that you read and mutter to yourself, every hundred lines or so - "Good Lord ! My sentiments exactly ! Why didn't I write this book ?"

Tell you what: walk into any bookstore; pick up this book; open it at any page, and read what's on the page; do this for another two pages; and if, after that, you don't buy the book, do let me know !


10. The Other Side of Me by Sidney Sheldon

Most readers of fast fiction have been Sidney Sheldon fans at some point of time or the other; those who weren't, may have seen one or the other of his movies. This book, written like a novel but conceptualised like an autobiography, reveals, to our surprise and delight, that Sheldon was so much more than just a fiction writer - he even won an Oscar ! Worth reading for the detailed insights into the man and his life.

I think 5 books at a time works well ! More in the next, then......

1 comment:

  1. I do agree... a re-reading spree is much better than a reading spree..maybe because so many of books today are not worth reading let alone re-reading!

    ReplyDelete