Tuesday 17 July 2012

Tobackoff! #4 : The Aftermath

ONE YEAR ON

I celebrated my first no-smoking anniversay on November 26, 2011. Quite spectacularly, as it happens - a ceremonial destruction of the 13 cigarettes I had left the day I quit smoking - 13 cigarettes which I carried about with me for a year, to remind myself that a relapse was just an arm's length away.
Once that was done and dusted, I carefully put away the cigarette case that had been my faithful companion through thick and thin, for three long smoky years, and took stock.
This is what I found:

The Downside
1.       For the first time since 1992, my trousers didn’t fit. I was in denial about this for a while, but I finally got myself some new clothes .
2.       The bottom half of my tie doesn’t fall straight down any more, it rests gently against the swell of a large pot belly.
3.       My silhouette has changed from that of a matchstick to that of a large bowling pin in a children’s bowling alley.
4.       I still huff and puff, but the reasons are a combination of ill-treated lungs and excess weight, rather than merely the former
The Upside
1.       I don’t let loose blood-curdling, deathly hollow coughs any more
2.       I can laugh without fear of paroxysms…..in fact, I need to get a new laugh, the old one was customised to pamper my throat !
3.       My teeth don’t feel as though they’re coated with Scotch Guard !
4.       Fingers used to be yellow, they're not jaundiced any more !
5.       Skin looks clearer, though that’s probably just an optical illusion
6.       Shirt pocket bottoms are no longer lined with tobacco flakes

No comments:

Post a Comment